19 January, 2007

I've picked up

... A lot of my furniture and bits from the street, though here they call it 'sidewalk surfing'. Bought some bits on Craigslist, some at the Salvos, floor stock at furniture stores, ordering cheap online, and pilfering flea markets. Finally, I've got something to sit on in every room, and none of it grosses me out (except maybe that one chair, which will be good for painting). Who would've thought I'd end up owning purple and beige luggage? Old skool...

Today I had a pretty 'New York' experience. I bought this table at the Salvos (pictured above in all it's Fifties formica grandeur) and then got a car service to take me - and it - back to my apartment. I paid the guy extra to help me take it upstairs, but this part of the deal was done in the foyer of my building. Next thing I know, the weaselly little fucker has nicked off leaving me stranded and laughing incredulously in the hallway. I had to be on a conference call that very minute, so I ran upstairs leaving a note for my neighbours apologising for the obstruction.

An hour and half later there I am hauling the thing up the stairs myself, making a huge racket as I bumped banisters and slid along marble. But all ended well - one slightly wider doorframe later, here I am tap tap tapping away happy as a pig in mud, and grateful to once again sit upright.