02 July, 2007

Pine Point 07 - getting in touch with my roots

Every year, the Bommers, Darrows and Anthes' converge on a strip for sand in Connecticut. They've been doing it every year for god knows how long - maybe 50+ years at a guess. That's why I figured "when in Rome..." and took myself along for the last ever Pine Point Renunion. The house is sold and the kids are moving on, so that's why I have to include so many pictures this time round.
My grandmother's ashes were hauled out for the festivities, complete with cigarettes and alcohol (no gin on hand). Now I know where I get my sense of humour from.
Ye olde homestead - Oswegatchi is the name I think.
The tradition here, as I understood it, was to eat, get drunk and then walk it off by donning ridiculous hats and canes and parading around the neighbourhood. The family used to own the whole point, so I suppose it's akin to surveying your lands (in an ironic way). Sample hats pictured.
You can't have a boathouse without chilli lights, if you want to be legit.
My grandfather made these speakers out of old soda crates (one great grandfather owned a root beer bottling factory way back). I think this is cool and I bet they cranked.